X-Men drop second straight game to Sea-Hawks

Photo Credit Memorial Athletics
Photo Credit Memorial Athletics

ST. JOHN'S, NL - The Memorial Sea-Hawks defeated the STFX X-Men 83-74 for the second game of the weekend after an intense game.

Opening up the first quarter was Dondre Reddick for the X-Men making a solid layup. Not long after Cameron Stanford for the Sea-Hawks came back to put his side on the board. The Sea-Hawks found an early lead as Nick Tuff hit a three-pointer along with three consecutive free throws.

STFX, confident in their throws, were unable to net the ball resulting in a low score of 14 throughout the first quarter. On the other end, the Sea-Hawks were finding the ball in the basket on the majority of their throws. The results was Memorial coming out of the first quarter with a 19 point lead, 33-14.

STFX's Deon Ejim started off the second quarter with a solid dunk in an attempt to close the gap. Halfway through the quarter the Sea-Hawks were held at eight points as the X-Men strengthened their defense by becoming more physical. STFX also found some consistency in their offense where they netted 20 points, outscoring their opponents 20-15 in the second quarter to cut the lead to 48-34 for the Sea-Hawks.

Flynn Boardman-Raffet led the scoring in the first half coming out with 13 points for the Sea-Hawks. Tuff found himself leaving the half with nine points, with Emanuel Ring scoring eight. On the other side for the X-Men, Ejim and Reddick led the scoring with eight points apiece. Following suit was Gatluak James with five points.

The third quarter opened with a jump shot by Sea-Hawks Cameron Stanford which was counterattacked by two layups from STFX's Reddick. The X-Men, while still down, gained enough team fouls in four minutes to give the Sea-Hawks free throws on each foul following where they gained some key points.

SFFX began to find the net more consistently in an attempt to get themselves back in the game. The Sea-Hawks netted an impressive 12 free throws in the third quarter to hold onto the lead 66-50.

Ring started off the final quarter with a successful layup resulting in a foul for the X-Men where Ring sunk the free throw as well. The Sea-Hawks went after the X-Men and gained five team fouls early into the last quarter resulting in free throws off of each consecutive Sea-Hawk foul. Nearing four minutes left in the game, Steven Levniac was the lone point scorer for the X-Men in the final quarter, with eight points to his name.

With some missed three-pointers from the Sea-Hawks, the X-Men were able to hold onto the defensive rebounds and gain points off the counter-attack. After a hard fought game the X-Men fell short as the Sea-Hawks to take the win with the 83-74 final score.

Boardman-Raffet was the leading scorer of the night, scoring 21 points for Sea-Hawks. Ring was able to tally 20 points and Tuff left with 16. Leading the way for the X-Men was Reddick coming out with 20 points.

The Memorial Sea-Hawks are heading to Acadia University next weekend, November 17th and 18th for a pair of games on the road. STFX is next in action on November 17th when they host Dalhousie.


Recap courtesy Memorial Athletics