StFX Athletics is pleased to announce that the Father Kehoe Golf Classic tournament will be held on Friday, August 25, 2023 at the Antigonish Golf & Country Club. The tournament format will be a scramble consisting of teams of four with a shotgun start at 9:00 am. Registration cost is $600 per team and will include one golf cart per team. For any teams wanting a second cart, an additional $50 charge will be added onto their registration fee. Second carts will be assigned on a first come, first serve basis as registration forms are submitted.
This year will mark the 30th edition of the event, named in honor of former StFX Athletic Director Father George Kehoe who passed away in a tragic automobile accident in 1991. To commemerate 30 years, all golfers will receive a branded Under Armour golf shirt with with their registration.
The 2023 STFX varsity season kicks off on Saturday, August 26th with the X-Men Football team hosting the Bishop's Gaiters at 3:00 pm at STFX Stadium. Game tickets are available for purchase online by CLICKING HERE.
The Kehoe Golf Classic tournament is an important part of the university’s efforts at maintaining a tradition of excellence in varsity athletics, with one hundred percent of the proceeds raised going directly to supporting StFX’s varsity athletic teams in the areas of athletic financial awards, exhibition and out-of-conference travel, academic support programs, and specialized equipment purchases.
Father Kehoe Classic Registration:
- All registration must be submitted in advance online by using our REGISTRATION FORM - LINK COMING SOON. Full names, handicaps and shirt sizes of all four golfers must be submitted in advance.
- Please register early to confirm your team's spot and to secure your golf shirt sizes! All registrations received by DATE TBD will be guaranteed their shirt sizes. For any registrations received after this date, STFX Athletics cannot confirm your selected shirt sizes will be available.
- All teams must submit the full team registration fee in advance. No payments will be accepted at the golf course.
- Teams must pay in full no later than Monday, August 14th by 5:00 pm - your spot will not be held after this deadline. Verbal commitments will not be accepted and team payments will not be accepted the day of the event. All teams must be registered and paid in full by Aug. 14th.
- Any teams who have requested a second cart must pay $50 for the second cart at the time of registration to StFX Athletics. One cart per team is included with your registration fee, second carts are on a first come, first serve basis as registration forms are submitted, so long as additional carts are available
- Registration payment may be accepted via the following methods:
- credit card information submitted via telephone to Mark DeYoung, 902-867-2304
- cheque mailed to StFX Athletics, PO Box 5000, Antigonish, NS, B2G 2W5
- invoice requested via email for company/business
Registration Contact: Mark DeYoung, firstname.lastname@example.org
CLICK HERE FOR SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Sponsorship Contact: Patrick Thomson, email@example.com
Golfers should take note that the tournament is a four-person scramble for the one-day event. All golfers will receive a StFX customized gift with their registration. We are excited to have Labatt (Bud Light) and PepsiCo. on board this summer as major sponsors of the Father Kehoe Golf Classic. Golfers can look forward to complementary BBQ during their round. We will also have food & drink giveaways on the course, along with closest-to-the-pin and long drive contests!
The Organizing Committee is pleased to offer the use of one power cart per team, included with your team entry fee. Should your team require an additional cart, please indicate on your registration form as they must be booked in advance. The $50 cost of the second cart is due payable to StFX Athletics at the time of registration and carts will be assigned on a firt come, first serve basis.
The Organizing Committee reminds all teams (four-person scramble) to please register in full by Monday, August 14th, thanking you in advance for your cooperation and full team payment by the registration deadline. No payments will be accepted at the golf course, and no teams will be permitted on the golf course without advance payment of registration fees. The registration cost for the tournament is $TBD.
For any teams or individuals looking for accommodations on campus, please check out the STFX University Summer Hotel options at https://www.mystfx.ca/hotel/ or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
We thank you for your participation and look forward to seeing your team this summer in Antigonish at the 2023 Classic as we celebrate 30 years of honoring Father George Kehoe and supporting StFX varsity athletics!
The Legacy of Father George Kehoe
Father Kehoe graduated from StFX in 1952 and was a three sport athlete (hockey, basketball, and rugby). He returned to campus as the men’s hockey coach in 1961 and coached for eleven years including participation in four national championships, becoming the winningest hockey coach in StFX history.
Father Kehoe was appointed Athletic Director in 1968, a position he held for 23 years. He served the AUAA (now AUS) as President for two terms and was the Vice President of the CIAU (now CIS) for a single term. In 1983 Father Kehoe was inducted into the StFX Sport Hall of Fame, followed five years later with an induction into the Nova Scotia Sport Hall of Fame.