QUEBEC – The Ottawa Gee-Gees cruised past the STFX X-Women on Friday afternoon in the first consolation game at the U SPORTS Women's Rugby Championship, winning 41-0.
The tournament's top seed secured their participation in Sunday's fifth place game, providing a bit of a lift the disappointment suffered following their upset loss in the quarterfinal against Victoria.
Two back-to-back tries from first team All-Canadian Ketsia Kamba set the tone, with Ottawa quickly taking a 12-0 lead after just 12 minutes of play. Fellow first team All-Canadian Tylo Borsboom added a try. in the 32nd minute, while Annalize Wey did the same just before halftime to make it 22-0.
The X-Women came close to scoring their first points of the game at the start of the second half, making it all the way to the Ottawa goal area, but the Gee-Gees defense held on. The RSEQ champions took advantage a little later to add to their lead thanks to a successful penalty from Aurora Bowie and Borsboom's second try of the match. Two penalties from Taelor Hendrick and a try from Sophie McDonald in the last 10 minutes would confirm Ottawa's place in the fifth-place game.
The Gee-Gees will take on the winners of the other consolation game between UPEI and UBC in the fifth-place game on Sunday at 11 a.m. Eastern. STFX, the most decorated team in U SPORTS history with six national titles, sees its participation in this year's championship come to an end.
Nike Team players of the game:
Ottawa – #8 Tylo Borsboom
STFX – #15 Katie Douglas
- OTT – Try Ketsia Kamba- 3th (5-0)
- OTT – Try Ketsia Kamba- 12th (conversion Aurora Bowie #15) (12-0)
- OTT – Try Tylo Borsboom – 31th (17-0)
- OTT – Try Annalise Wey – 35th (22-0)
- OTT – Penalty Goal Aurora Bowie – 40th (25-0)
- OTT – Try Tylo Borsboom – 52nd (30-0)
- OTT – Penalty Goal Taelor Hendrick – 63rd (33-0)
- OTT – Try Sophie McDonald- 66th (38-0)
- OTT – Penalty Goal Taelor Hendrick – 69th (41-0)
Katie Douglas was named Nike Player of the Game for the X-Women