X-Men tie UNH Wildcats 3-3

File Photo
File Photo

Durham, N.H. – The StFX X-Men and University of New Hampshire Wildcats played to a 3-3 tie Sunday afternoon in exhibition action. The Wildcats overcame a 3-1 third period deficit to tie the game and a five-minute overtime period did not break the tie.


  • The Wildcats fell behind early after a goal from StFX's Adam Laishram on a backhander at 5:23 in the first period. Mark Tremaine and Brent Turnbull had the helpers.
  • Marcus Vela redirected a slap shot from Max Gildon to notch the Cats first goal of the game on a power play at 11:56. Senior forward Michael McNicholas also posted an assist on the goal.
  • StFX responded quickly when Holden Cook sent a wrist shot from the left face-off circle to the lower stick-side corner of the net to regain the lead at 13:05. Matt Needham assisted.
  • The second period went scoreless as the Cats outshot the X-Men 11-5.
  • StFX's Regan Spears found the back of the net with a wrist shot at 6:23 in the third period, off a Jagger Dirk pass.
  • Gildon notched a one-timer slap shot from the slot off of a pass from McNicholas at 12:05 in the third period. Vela also added an assist on the goal.
  • Brendan van Riemsdyk tied the game off of a wrap-around from behind the net at 16:38 in the third period. Classmate Liam Blackburn added an assist on the goal.
  • The game then went into overtime, but neither team could find the back of the net for the 3-3 final.


  • UNH outshot the X-Men, 33-23.
  • Senior netminder Danny Tirone made 14 saves in the first two periods.
  • Senior goaltender Adam Clark recorded two saves during his 9:27 of play.
  • Freshman goaltender Mike Robinson (Bedford, N.H.) recorded four saves during the end of the third period and overtime.
  • Chase Marchand played the full game in the StFX net, registering 30 saves.
  • The Wildcats went a perfect 2-2 on the power play while the X-Men went 0-4.
  • StFX won 33 faceoffs against UNH's 30.

Courtesy UNH Communications