X-Women lose AUS quarterfinal heartbreaker in penalty kicks

Photo credit Vaughan Merchant
Photo credit Vaughan Merchant

SYDNEY, N.S. – The No. 6 seeded Memorial Sea-Hawks upset the No. 3 seeded and previously undefeated StFX X-Women 2-1 in penalty kicks in the quarterfinals at the Subway AUS Soccer Championships, presented by Keep It Social.

After the X-Women were leading 1-0 for the majority of the game, the Sea-Hawks were able to tie it up in extra time at the end of the game, forcing overtime. When overtime decided nothing they needed the penalties to decide a winner and the X-Women came out on the losing end of a heartbreaker as the Sea-Hawks advance to Friday's semifinal game.

The game got off to a slow start with no player from either team getting a solid shot off in the first 20 minutes.

In the 23rd minute, Memorial keeper and AUS first team all-star Sydney Walsh (St. John's, NL) made a save but could not gain control and StFX midfielder Talia Morin (Ottawa, ON) got it past her to open up the scoring.

StFX carried the 1-0 lead into halftime.

The wind picked up as the second half started, and the X-Women playing into it. They attempted to keep their shots and passes low, but despite some solid runs, they were not able to find the back of the net.

Walsh made a number of impressive saves in net for the Sea-Hawks—including a diving stop—as she faced tough weather conditions and strong StFX strikes.

Memorial had a chance on a breakaway, but when StFX keeper Alyssa Spridgeon (Whitby, ON) ran out to contest the shot, Sea-Hawks striker Kate Hickey (Outer Cove, NL) hit the post and StFX maintained their 1-0 lead.

Just as many thought the game was over, Lauren Taylor (St. John's, NL.) tied the game and sent it into overtime with a header off an assist from AUS second team all-star Nicole Torraville (St. John's, NL) in added time at the end of the game.

Memorial was the aggressor to begin overtime, taking a few shots on net, but Spridgeon kept things scoreless. In the second half of overtime, StFX was able to use the wind to their advantage and get some shots off, but all were stopped by Walsh.

After a scoreless overtime, the game headed to a shootout.

In the shootout AUS first team all-stars Amanda Smith and Larissa White both scored for StFX but Torraville, Lauren Taylor, Holly O'Neill and Jamie King made good on their attempts for the Sea-Hawks. King scored the game winner to complete the upset.

Lauren Taylor was named Subway Player of the Game. StFX's Talia Morin was named player of the game for the X-Women in the loss.

The Sea-Hawks now advance to face the defending champion and No. 2 seed Cape Breton Capers Friday at 4:30 pm in the semi-finals. No. 1 seeded Acadia will meet No. 5 UNB in the other semi-final at 11:30 am. UNB defeated Dalhousie 3-1 to advance.The championship game is scheduled for Sunday at 1:00 pm.


Courtesy Daniel Briand, CBU Athletics